Why do people foster children?
The foster carers we work with told us:
- They want to make a difference in children's lives;
- Many felt there was an empty space in their lives which foster care filled;
- They were unable to have a child of their own so fostering children was their best option;
- Some foster carers said they had been in care themselves;
- Those that were teachers, nurses, social workers and other childcare workers wanted to use their existing skills in foster caring;
- Some foster carers were influenced by the media and the need for more foster carers;
- Some foster carers wanted a career change and to be able to work from home.